When it comes to alcohol consumption, how much is too much?
Could your drinking habits be making you depressed?
A report in the March issue of Archives of General Psychiatry found that while depression did not lead to alcohol abuse, alcohol abuse did increase the risk for major depression (ScienceDaily, 2009). The authors of this study suggested this could be caused by alcohol’s impact on the body or by the stressful life events brought on by heavy alcohol use.
National Alcohol Screening Day, held annually on Thursday of the first full week of April, gives your community-based organization the perfect opportunity to offer a free, anonymous screening for alcohol use disorder as well as other common mental health conditions.
What are the main features of the online alcohol screening program?
- Anonymous, online screenings.
- Utilization reports: Organizations who participate in the online screening can run utilization reports at any time to see how many people are taking the online screening.
- Demographic Information: Utilization reports include agregate demographic information and data about how participants are scoring (while ensuring anonymity).
- Community Downloadable Resource Center: All participating organizations receive access to the Downloadable Resource Center, allowing them to download and print educational handouts, clinician guides, promotional templates and posters.
- Promotional Support: SMH’s marketing staff is at your service to provide advice and templates to help you promote your online screening. All participants also receive the Online Screening Promotional Guide.
Can I take a sample screening?
Yes, take a sample screening here.
Where can I learn more?
You can view the features of the online screening program here
Members of your community will have access to a validated online alcohol screening, 24/7. It’s a quick 5-minute self-assessment tool designed to help individuals identify symptoms of alcohol misuse and access assistance before a problem becomes serious.
Please Note: The CommunityResponse program is for organizations who wish to screen the general public. If you are an EAP or would like to provide this program for your employees, please visit the WorkplaceResponse page.